Al-Anon for Teens
Alateen is a fellowship of young Al-Anon members, usually teenagers, whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. Break the cycle. There is help. Join one of our groups. You are not alone. This is where teens in families of alcoholics and drug abusers can go to find help.
Young People Come Together To:
- share experience, strength and hope with each other.
- discuss their difficulties.
- learn effective ways to cope with their problems.
- encourage one another.
- help each other understand the principles of the Al-Anon program.
- Alateen Facebook page is now a reality!
- Search “Alateen WSO” to find it!
Alateen Members Learn:
- compulsive drinking is a disease.
- they can detach themselves emotionally from the drinker’s problems while continuing to love the person.
- they are not the cause of anyone else’s drinking or behavior.
- they cannot change or control anyone but themselves.
- they have spiritual and intellectual resources with which to develop their own potentials, no matter what happens at home.
- they can build satisfying and rewarding life experiences for themselves.
Is someone’s drinking getting to you?
Alateen is for young people whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. The following twenty questions are to help you decide whether Alateen is for you.
Alateen members meet in church halls, school rooms or other suitable places (many times in the same building as an Al-Anon group, but in a separate room.) Meetings are held throughout the Baltimore Metro Area. Find a Meeting…
Members are encouraged to read Al-Anon and Alateen Conference-Approved Literature and materials. Written from members’ personal sharings, these recovery tools can help young people deal with their problems.
Al-Anon and Alateen has three sets of guiding principles that are referred to as our Three Legacies. These Legacies were adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous. The Legacies include:
- Recovery through the Twelve Steps
- Unity through the Twelve Traditions
- Service through the Twelve Concepts of Service
For More Information
- Interested in knowing what other Teens are saying? Visit Alateen Corner.